Monday, October 31, 2016

The Struggle

 Wow. What an obstacle attempting to volunteer as been. I have waited the whole month of October for the sister at Daughters of Charity to process my application and have my background check cleared in order that I may start volunteer orientation. The number of times I have called this place has been ridiculous. Every time I call its a different story. I finally received an email today stating that they have not forgotten about me and that I should be placed into an orientation soon. Too late. I gave up hope on the poor daughters about two weeks ago.After the numerous and varying responses given to me by the Daughters of Charity, I gave up a little hope on volunteering at a clinic and started focus my attempts elsewhere.

The heroin epidemic is running rampant throughout the United States. It has affected me personally as I have a had a good friend die from this epidemic. Therefore I started googling needle exchanges around the New Orleans are and found one that really caught my eye. The name was Trystereo and they identified themselves as a harm reduction group. I attempted to volunteer and as much as I would have liked to, there also seems to be a lot of red tape involved with this organization. I do not have any more time to waste therefore I have had to resort to Habitat for Humanity. I have signed up to volunteer 3 days in November. I will continue on my journey to find a clinic to volunteer at for the upcoming yeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment